Here are the answers to some of the frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Cabinet and related business.

If you have a question that is not answered here, try searching this site or looking through our Cabinet pages. If you still can't find what you are looking for, please contact your portfolio Cabinet officer or other relevant contact.

Cabinet submissions

Does this proposal need to go to Cabinet?

Information about proposals that need Cabinet or sub-committee approval can be found at What needs to go to Cabinet.

Which template do I use?

You can find information and download templates for submissions from this site.

General information about Cabinet submissions

How long should my Cabinet submission be?

Cabinet submissions should be a maximum of six pages excluding the synopsis and attachments. Any critical further information can be included in an attachment.

Should my Cabinet item be locked?

Where a matter is highly sensitive it may be locked. This means that circulation is restricted and the item is not named on the Cabinet agenda. The referring Minister will decide if they wish for their item to be locked and will seek approval from the Premier for this to occur.

Agencies should consult with their Minister’s office if they believe an item should be locked.

Is there a specific order for attachments?

Yes. You can find information on the attachment order in the attachments section of the submission templates.

Can you tell me the outcomes from the Cabinet meeting?

Cabinet decisions are available to authorised ECO users, usually on the day following the Cabinet meeting. Departmental staff without ECO access should contact their department’s central Cabinet coordination unit or their Minister’s Cabinet liaison officer for information about Cabinet outcomes.

Can you send me a copy of a Cabinet submission?

Cabinet Office is the custodian of Cabinet submissions, but not the owner. For access to a Cabinet submission, you need to speak to the responsible Minister’s office.

If you need to know the outcome of particular Cabinet matter and its impact on your agency, speak to the agency responsible for that item.

Committees and taskforces

Where can I find the outcome of a decision from a Cabinet committee meeting?

Decisions from Cabinet committee meetings are not registered in ECO. A Cabinet note, which can be accessed through ECO, is prepared at the conclusion of each meeting detailing the proposals considered by each committee.

Executive officers also provide notification of Cabinet committee approvals directly to relevant Ministerial offices.

Are there templates for committees and taskforces?

Yes. Instructions for adapting templates for committees and taskforces can be found on the Committees and Taskforces page.

Is there a schedule for committee or taskforce meetings?

Yes. Meeting schedules can be found for each of the committees and taskforces.

When can I bypass BCC?

Where a submission will have a clear negative budget impact and there is urgency surrounding the proposal, the Treasurer may authorise the submission to proceed to Cabinet without BCC approval.

For more information visit the Committees and Taskforces page.

Board and committee appointments

What is required for a Minister to appoint a member of a board?

More information can be found on the Boards and Committees page.

Legislation and regulations

What are the requirements to draft and make regulations and which process is required?

Find out more about the processes required to make regulations including whether you should follow a one or two step process here.

Are instructions to Parliamentary Counsel required as part of the one-step process to approve and make regulations?

Instructions must be provided to Parliamentary Counsel. The instructions do not need to be attached to the Cabinet submission seeking approval of the regulations.

Do I need to prepare a full Cabinet submission when drafting or making regulations?

Yes. If you are following a two-step process you will also need to complete a submission for Subcommittee to approve the making of the regulations. You can find out more information on submissions here.

Where can I find copies of Acts and Regulations?

The South Australian Legislation website provides you with access to and information on South Australian legislation.

How should I write submission recommendations?

You can find guiding text in the Cabinet submission templates, including submission recommendations.

The one step regulation process checklist and two step regulation process checklist also provide information about recommendations.

Matters for Executive Council

What should be presented to the Governor in Executive Council?

Approval by the Governor is required for:

  • Acts for assent
  • the issuing of proclamations
  • the making of regulations
  • appointments to boards and committees
  • significant appointments
  • matters that various Acts require the Governor to approve.

This list is not exhaustive. Each agency must be familiar with its legislation, both principal and subordinate, and with matters requiring approval of the Governor.

What is the process for publishing Executive Council matters in the Government Gazette?

The Cabinet Coordination unit in Cabinet Office organises the publication of Executive Council matters in the Government Gazette.

When does a matter require Executive Council approval?

Any matter which requires the approval of the Governor must be submitted to Executive Council.


Does Cabinet meet if the Premier is unavailable?

Cabinet will usually meet even if the Premier is not available. If it is a planned absence, an Acting Premier will be appointed, and he or she will chair Cabinet. If the Premier is unexpectedly absent, Cabinet will be chaired by the next most senior minister, usually the Deputy Premier.

Can the Governor make retrospective appointments?


When does something need to go to Public Works Committee and what Cabinet approval is required?
Where can I learn about the processes of the South Australian Parliament?

The Parliament of South Australia website will help you learn about the processes of the South Australian Parliament, discover its history and access information, including Hansard and Bills.