Applications under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988
Before making a determination, giving an authorisation or declaring by regulation a site or object under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988, the Premier, as the Minister responsible for Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation, must take all reasonable steps to consult with:
- The State Aboriginal Heritage Committee; and
- Any Aboriginal organisation, Traditional Owners and other Aboriginal people that, in opinion of the Minister, have an interest in the matter.
Applicant: Professor Ian McNiven, Indigenous Studies Centre, Monash University, Victoria
Project: Nantawarrina Archaeological Project (Research Project)
Application Area: Moro Gorge Cave, Nantawarrina Indigenous Protected Area (IPA)
Application Type: Authorisation under sections 21, 23 & 29(1)(b) of the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988
The Premier, as the Minister responsible for Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation, has received an Application for Authorisations under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988, pursuant to:
- section 21 to excavate land for the purpose of uncovering any Aboriginal site, object or remains;
- section 23 to damage, disturb or interfere with Aboriginal sites, objects or remains; and
- section 29(1)(b) to remove an Aboriginal object from the State, for the purpose of analyses and dating.
The Applicant wishes to undertake a Research Project, which involves:
- An archaeological excavation of Moro Gorge Cave at Nantawarrina Indigenous Protected Area (IPA) for the purpose of determining a chronological timeline for the past use of the cave and gain a greater understanding of Adnyamathanha occupation of the Nantawarrina IPA.
- Destructive testing and non-destructive analysis of excavated materials (i.e. stone artefacts, faunal remains, charcoal, ochre and shell samples) to provide insights into past Aboriginal use of Moro Gorge Cave and establish an indirect date for the rock art present; and
- The removal of cultural materials and samples (described above) from the State of South Australia for testing and analysis purposes.
Consultation Information Pack
For further information relating to this Application, download a copy of the Consultation Information Pack.
Please call the Department of the Premier and Cabinet, Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation (DPC-AAR) on (08) 8226 8900 to request a hard copy of the Consultation Information Pack.
Prior to considering the Application, section 13 of the Act requires the Premier to consult with Traditional Owners as well as any Aboriginal persons or organisations that, in the opinion of the Premier, may have a particular interest in the matter.
Verbal and written submissions are now invited from interested parties.
Submissions must be received no later than 5:00 pm (ACDST) on Wednesday, 14 November 2018.
For more information, or to lodge a written or verbal submission, please contact DPC-AAR on (08) 8226 8900 or write to:
Mr Alex van Wessem
Principal Project Officer (Heritage)
Department of the Premier and Cabinet, Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation
Postal Address: GPO Box 320 ADELAIDE SA 5001
- Download: Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988 (193.9 KB PDF)