Cabinet is the government’s central decision-making body comprising all Ministers, including the Premier of South Australia. It has a collective responsibility to make decisions that are in the best strategic interest of the state.
Cabinet is chaired by the Premier and meets weekly.
Ministers bring proposals to Cabinet in the form of Cabinet submissions, which include a recommendation on the action they would like Cabinet to take.
Cabinet submissions cover a range of matters, including proposals to develop new policy or legislation, initiatives and public works with significant costs, major appointments, and partnership agreements for Commonwealth funding.
Cabinet Committees and Taskforces
Cabinet has established a number of committees and taskforces to consider specific issues. Each is made up of a subset of Cabinet ministers and operates according to a terms of reference that determines what decision-making authority they are granted. Find out more on the Cabinet Committees and Taskforces page [hyperlink].
Cabinet has delegated power to approve less significant matters to Cabinet Subcommittee. Cabinet Subcommittee is comprised of the Attorney-General and the most junior minister on the order of precedence. Find out more on the Cabinet Subcommittee page [hyperlink].
Many decisions made by Cabinet require the approval of the Governor before they can be implemented. Executive Council is the body that advises the Governor on these decisions. All Ministers are ex officio members of Executive Council.
The role of Cabinet Office
Cabinet Office plays an important role in supporting the Premier as Chair of Cabinet.
It has three areas of focus:
- Policy and Public Value - across-government policy projects and major reform priorities
- Security and Emergency Management - strategic security and emergency management policy matters
- Cabinet Advice - issues of interest to the Premier and Cabinet Ministers; complex policy matters; and coordination of services for the effective and efficient functioning of Cabinet and Executive Council.
- Templates for Cabinet submissions or email Cabinet Office and Public Value.
- Cabinet and Executive Council Guides
- Public value case studies, training materials and other tools.
Cabinet Office and public value update service
Sign up to be notified about changes to Cabinet business and public value information.