The Government of South Australia’s vision is to source, generate and control more of the state’s power supply.
We are implementing South Australia’s energy plan, which will increase self-reliance and provide reliable, competitive and clean power into the future.
The state government sought feedback on the legal framework that establishes South Australia’s energy security target. Consultation closed on 26 May 2017.
- Energy Security Target – Stakeholder Consultation PDF, 169.17 KB
- Electricity (General) (Electricity Security Target) Variation Regulations 2017 PDF, 77.64 KB
Commencing the energy security target has been delayed until 1 January 2018. All submissions to the consultation process are being assessed and any matters raised from this process will be considered in finalising the regulations.
As a high level response to submissions, the Department notes:
- Renewable energy generators that provide a level of dispatchable electricity and system security services will be eligible for participation in the energy security target.
- Technology can be installed at existing and new renewable energy generators to satisfy dispatchability and system security service requirements.
- Frontier Economics analysis shows the energy security target will create more wholesale market competition and put downward pressure on prices, offsetting the direct costs of the scheme.
The submissions published on this webpage are presented for the purpose of providing information to the public.
The views in published submissions are the responsibility of the authors and do not represent the views of the South Australian Government.
Publication does not in any way constitute endorsement of the views of the authors.
The Department does not verify the information contained in the published submissions and makes no representation or warranty about the accuracy, reliability, currency or completeness of any material contained in submissions.
- Alinta Energy
- Altura Group and Delta Electricity
- Andrew Stock
- Australian Energy Council
- Australian Storage Council and Energy Storage Council
- Bureau of Steel Manufacturers of Australia
- Business SA
- Clean Energy Council
- Climate Council
- Community Power Agency consortium
- Conservation Council SA
- DP Energy
- ERM Business Energy
- Infigen Energy
- LMS Energy
- Lyon Group
- Mark Parnell MLC
- Momentum Energy
- Nyrstar Port Pirie
- Origin Energy
- SA Wine Industry
- Snowy Hydro
- The Wilderness Society
- Uniting Communities
- ZEN Energy
Please direct any queries related to the energy security target to DPC.ESTRegulations@sa.gov.au